I've been window shopping tablet PCs for a few months now, with particular interest towards Lenovo Thinkpads. About a month ago, I made a brief excursion MicroCenter only to find an overpriced, underspeced Thinkpad tablet in inventory. A few weeks ago, I almost pressed the (online) trigger, but couldn't get past struggling between the MultiView vs. SXGA pardox. The MultiView option provides higher visibility during daytime -- good for computing at parks while keeping eye on kids. The SXGA, well, not sure if I can really live with only 1024x768... With the X61, Lenovo presents a new option, 12.1" MultiView WVA SXGA TFT and Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV . Fortunately, they made me think twice by placing "Selecting this option may delay your shipment 3-4 weeks" right under it. Nice.
With employee discount + sale dejour, here's what got speced:
ThinkPad X61 Tablet Series 1 Yr Depot Warranty
- 12.1" MultiView WVA SXGA TFT and Intel® Core™ 2 Duo L7500 LV
- Genuine Windows Vista Business
- 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
- 60GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
- DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim
- Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
- Integrated Wireless WAN: Verizon Sierra CDMA2000 (New)
- ThinkPad X60 Tablet 8 Cell Li-Ion Battery
- 7764: Express - 1 Yr Depot Warranty
- Microsoft Office Small Business 2007 - English
- ThinkPad X6 Tablet UltraBase
Not bad, considering that the overpriced underspeced non-MultiView, non-SXGA X60, non-Core 2 Duo tablet at MicroCenter was about the same price. Estimated shipment date: 8/2/2007. Uncool. A lot can happen between now and early August. Does Lenovo manufacture these AFTER they get enough orders? This is not "just-in-time", this is "NOT-in-time". Tim suspects that once the back-to-school orders start shipping (1) price will drop, and (2) availability will be immediate. Is there a Lenovo store? I say wait.